Sunday, March 7, 2010

HUM 225 Week 2

Throughout my past two weeks in Italy, I have visited many museums and seen many beautiful works of art. However this past weekend I saw one that is especially incredible, and has become my personal favorite. The David is a sculpture by Michelangelo, and is currently located at the Galleria dell 'Accademia. David is made of marble and took Michelangelo from 1501-1504 to complete.

The statue depicts David, who is most famous for his defeat of Goliath. The statue shows him as a strong figure who is apparently very deep in thought. One thing that I find interesting about the statue are the hands and feet. They are disporportionate to the rest of the statue. I believe this is meant to show how strong David is. His big hands and feet are a sign to ensure that people remember his strength and how important they were in his victory over Goliath.

5 comments:

  1. Eric, I completely agree with this post. This statue was breathtaking and very interesting to look at. You gave some great facts and I really enjoyed this museum visit with you. Maybe it was because I got in for free??? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric the David truly was an incredible piece of art! everything about it was amazing and I like your input about why the hands and feet are disproportionate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya even though I saw the phony one it was still legit. I think the extra large hands and feet were just a screw up on his part. Its still a pretty nice piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, well done. Be sure to indicate in your 225 blogs whether you plan to address formal aspects, historical relevance, artist biography, or icongraphy. I am assuming you chose the latter. But, you must be specific in the beginning of the blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, I agree with your thought process on the feet and the hands. It is amazing how out of proportion the feet and hands were.

    ReplyDelete